Students Celebrated as part of Black History Month series

Feb 19, 2021 | Business, Engagement

KTVE/KARD recently highlighted the success of Tyler Ross, Jamar Anderson, and La’Dereka Christian, three College of Business students, as part of their series on Black History Month. The below stories were published in Feb. 2021. 

Young student leader works to establish National Association of Black Accountants at Louisiana Tech

Tyler Ross is a College of Business student at Louisiana Tech.

“My Uncle Bubba, actually, he always used to tell me, ‘if you shoot for the stars and you land on the moon, you’re still pretty high’,” Ross said.

Ross is doing just that. She helped build the National Association of Black Accountants from the ground up.

“Getting that started, we had conversations about what the exec board would look like, and I was like ‘okay, I want to be president’.”

Ross has since then been recommended by professors to be the president of the new-found organization.

“To know that people are watching you, even when you don’t think that they are, they are watching you and they’re focused on you so much so that they can recommend you for such a position of a president of a new organization, not an existing one,” Ross said. It really meant a lot to me.”

She said the key to her success is networking.

“So many people are so willing to help, so just opening your mouth and continuing to work and continuing to push now matter what,” Ross said “No matter who says no matter the doubts that are in your head or whatever.”

Ross said her mission at Louisiana Tech is to leave and environment that serves as a safe space for students to not only survive college, but also prepare them for what’s to come in life after school.

“So continuing to work or continuing to talk and putting yourself out there.. the worst somebody can say is no,” Ross said

Her endeavors go beyond Louisiana Tech. Ross said after graduation, her next step is law school.

Louisiana Tech’s Black Student Union President works to pave the way for future young leaders

Jamar Anderson is the President of the Black Student Union at Louisiana Tech. He said he aspires to lead by example and share his knowledge with the younger generation.

“I always try to give something that I learn because if I close that door, that means others after me can’t come,” Anderson said.

That’s why he’s involved in many leadership roles on campus.

“Because you get to see, I can do that,” Anderson said. “Being able to see someone else in that position doing a certain job.. that’s motivational.”

Ashlynn Taylor works alongside Anderson as the Vice President for BSU. She said one thing she admires about Anderson is his work ethic.

“He’s usually really open minded and willing to do whatever it takes to keep the organization running,” Taylor said.

Taylor said he has helped her become a stronger leader. She said he constantly challenges them to be the best version of themselves.

“It’s better to become a better leader when you are with other great leaders and he is a great leader,” Taylor said.

Anderson said when his time comes to an end at Louisiana Tech, he wants to be remembered for what he has done for others.

“Not what I did for myself or accomplishments, because those things fade, but the legacy I can leave saying ‘he assisted me with this, or he taught me this, or he did this for others,’ I can go on with my life knowing I did okay, you know, that my job was done,” Anderson said.

Black History Month: Be a part of the change you want to see

La’Dereka Christian has always had a passion for leading and being a voice for those who can’t speak up for themselves.

“Being a leader means being a good example and you know, you can’t expect people to change things on campus if you’re not being the change that you want to see,” Christian said.

So when she arrived at Louisiana Tech, she hit the ground running. She took part in starting the first chapter of the National Association of Black Accountants at Louisiana Tech and now sits as the NABA chairperson.

“Being a part of Louisiana Tech, especially with the College of Business, the biggest thing that I kind of wanted to capitalize on as a student was just being a part of representation,” Christian said.

She’s also gone beyond the college of business. She’s involved in the Black Student Union, a senator for the Student Government Association, and a Student Orientation Leader.

“I just made Student Orientation Leaders and we’ve made history of being the most diverse staff so far here at Louisiana Tech, so that was a pretty big accomplishment,” Christian said.

She said her main goal is to be a voice for minorities in the College of Business.

“Just being here on behalf of students who look like me and just letting them know you can do this, because it’s not that they don’t have the capabilities, it’s just that I’ve heard from peers and other people that it’s kind of hard going for those positions if you don’t see anybody that looks like you,” Christian said.

Christian said she’s taking part of the representation now, so when it comes time to hang her hat at Louisiana Tech, she’ll have paved the way for the generations to come.

“Being a leader on this campus, like I said, you have to be that example and I can’t expect things to be changed or things to be differently if I’m not trying to be a part of that change,” Christian said.