Cameron Lewis Receives Prestigious PCAOB Scholarship

Aug 18, 2022 | Business, Impact

Cameron Lewis, of Alexandria, has been awarded a $10,000 scholarship by the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) intended to encourage outstanding accounting students to pursue careers in audit. A recent accounting graduate who is now pursuing his Master of Accountancy (MAcc) at Louisiana Tech University, Lewis was one of only 250 students selected to receive the scholarship.

“Receiving this scholarship means so much to me,” Lewis said. “When I learned that I was selected, I was extremely excited and thankful to the College of Business for nominating me. This scholarship shows me that there are more people that support me in my journey to becoming a business professional. I am also appreciative of the support that the PCAOB has for future auditors and accounting professionals.”

Since 2011, the PCAOB has given this merit-based award to select students who exhibit excellence in an accounting degree program, demonstrate high ethical standards, and have been nominated by a professor.

“In all my years of teaching, Cameron is one of a handful of students I would characterize as exceptional,” said KPMG Endowed Professor and Associate Professor of Accounting Dr. David Herda, who nominated Lewis for the award. “It is no surprise that the PCAOB selected him for this prestigious scholarship.”

Following the completion of his MAcc degree, Lewis will join Deloitte’s Dallas office as an audit assistant in the company’s Audit and Assurance Group. Lewis currently serves as president of Louisiana Tech’s chapter of the National Association of Black Accountants (NABA) and is a lifetime member of Beta Alpha Psi.

“I’m thankful to the College of Business and my professors for providing me with career advice that has helped me achieve my goals,” said Lewis. “I have developed relationships with mentors who are genuinely dedicated to ensuring students’ success as business professionals.”

Since 2011, the PCAOB has administered a scholarship program for undergraduate and graduate accounting students enrolled in accredited U.S. colleges and universities. The PCAOB Scholars Program is mandated by the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and is funded through monetary penalties collected as part of PCAOB enforcement actions. For more information about the PCAOB scholarship, visit pcaobus.org.