COLLEGE OF BUSINESS
Graduate Certificate Programs
The College of Business offers graduate certificate programs that are ideal for individuals looking to expand their skill-sets, brush up on knowledge post-grad, specialize in their field of study, or get the educational foundation for a field outside of their degree.
Graduate Certificate in Business Administration
The Graduate Certificate in Business Administration provides professionals with a milestone accomplishment for career advancement and a pathway into Louisiana Tech’s MBA program. This certificate allows students with a baccalaureate degree (from regionally accredited institutions meeting the University’s admission criteria) to take any four of the seven core MBA courses. To earn the certificate, the cumulative GPA for the core MBA courses must be 3.0 or higher.
Build towards something more.
The Graduate Certificate in Business Administration is a unique opportunity to quickly gain fundamental business knowledge and earn a graduate-level credential from an AACSB-accredited, Tier 1 research university. And that’s just the beginning. If the participating student earns a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher, the GMAT requirement may be waived if the student applies for admission to the MBA program.
Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance
For those seeking experience in the fields of security, information security, computer forensics—and more—the Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance is the right path for you. This certificate is a standalone program and may also be taken in conjunction with the MBA with a CIS/ Information Assurance Concentration. Louisiana Tech University has been designated by the Department of Homeland Security as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAE) and Information Assurance Research (CAE-R).
During the IA courses, you will develop the skills for positions in systems and network security, learning to detect, report and resolve cyber threats. Courses also cover the use of code encryption to securely pass information between systems, building and using secure audio and video communications equipment, developing tamper protection products and providing trusted information solutions. Students will master the skills of assessing, auditing evaluation, testing network and systems security and conducting forensic investigations while also learning how to perform information systems risk analysis and plan for disaster recovery and business continuity. Our Information Assurance (IA) curriculum is certified by the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS) using Information Systems Security (INFOSEC) Professionals, NSTISSI No. 4011 guidelines, CNSSI-4012 (National Information Assurance Training Standard for Senior Systems Managers). CNSSI-4016 (National Information Assurance Training Standard for Risk Analysts).
What’s Required to Enroll?
To enroll, students must have a minimum of a 2.5 (4.0 system) grade point average on all work attempted or 2.75 on the last 60 hours attempted. Once admitted, you must earn a 3.0 or better each quarter of registration. Students wishing to apply must complete the Graduate School application and have a bachelor’s degree; the GRE and GMAT are not required to enroll. The courses will be offered on our main campus in Ruston and in Bossier City at the National Cyber Research Park. For the schedule of offerings, contact the Graduate Programs office.
- The program provides an introduction to fundamental concepts, terminologies, IA models and practices, and teaches students to view how different fields of disciplines interact in the area of information system assurance. Students are familiarized with the technical, legal, socio-political, and managerial issues of IA, and as well as the common body of knowledge for the security certification exams.
- Students are introduced to basic concepts of digital forensic science, and explore the specific areas of media, network and code forensics. Students also examine the role of digital forensics in public and private investigations, and analyze the potential benefits, limitations and risks of digital forensics. Student awareness of managerial issues raised by the use of digital forensics is increased, and concepts are practiced through experiential exercises.
- Students design and manage the continuity of business operations through planning, incident reporting, and disaster recovery planning.
- Students are presented with the organizational issues of risk analysis including reliability, safety, security, and privacy, in addition to methods for risk assessment and security evaluations. Students are introduced to risk management business challenges and risk assessment approaches, then apply risk assessment into risk mitigation plans.
MBA Concentration in Information Assurance
The IA courses may also be used as a concentration for the MBA degree. To do so, you must be admitted to the MBA program which can be done before or after the IA sequence is completed. For more information on the MBA with a concentration in IA, click here and choose the Traditional MBA tab.
To learn more about the Information Assurance Certificate program, contact:
Dr. Selwyn Ellis
Department Head of Computer Information Systems
College of Business Graduate Programs Office
Certificate in Business Foundations (Pre-MBA, Post Baccalaureate)
Interested in joining our MBA program, but don’t have an undergraduate degree in business? Perhaps you just like to work on things at your own pace or are trying to build on skills that you already have from working in the field. The Certificate in Business Foundations offers you the flexibility to do both. With self-paced, pass/fail-basis courses offered entirely online, this post-baccalaureate certificate is designed with today’s business world—and individual—in mind. Work towards having the essential foundation business skills on your own schedule, on your own time. Applicants for this program should apply using the undergraduate admissions application.
Who Should Enroll?
The study of business foundations provides valuable knowledge that will be especially useful to:
- Recent college graduates with non-business degrees who wish to acquire business knowledge to expand their skill set and job prospects.
- Current professionals looking to advance their careers.
- Those wishing to pursue an MBA (as select courses from this certificate may be used to meet foundation requirements for the MBA degree at Louisiana Tech).
Who Can Enroll in the Program?
There are no prerequisite courses for this program. Any students who hold non-business degrees from an accredited university may pursue the Business Foundations Certificate after successful admission to Louisiana Tech University.
Courses may not be applied toward the completion of an undergraduate degree program at Louisiana Tech.
To learn more about the Certificate in Business Foundations program, please contact:
Dr. Bill McCumber
Associate Dean of Graduate Programs
College of Business Graduate Programs Office
If you are interested in learning more about the Undergraduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security Management, click here.