COLLEGE OF BUSINESS
COB Computer Requirements
A laptop is REQUIRED for all students in the College of Business. Recommended computer specifications are listed below.
Minimum Computer Configurations
- Windows 11
- Intel or AMD processor with SSE2 support (examples: Intel Core, Core 2, i5, i7; AMD K8 & Phenom CPUs)
- 64-bit operating system required
- 8 GB of RAM
- 500GB Hard drive or more
- Wireless networking capability
- 12 inch or larger screen is recommended
Netbooks are not recommended
- Apple MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with 13.3” screen or larger
- 1GHz dual-core Intel i5 (Boost up to 3.5GHz)
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650
- 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
- 512GB PCIe-based SSD storage
- Up to 10 hours on battery
- Weight 3.0lbs
- Mac OS Sierra
- AppleCare extended 3 year limited warranty
- Since the university now utilizes a virtual desktop, it is not as critical to have a Windows-based PC because most of the software is available through our Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI). However, if you come to Louisiana Tech with an Apple, please note that your machine MUST boot into Microsoft Much of the required software is Windows based. If you do have an Apple, please be aware that technical support will be limited at the HelpDesk.
- Please remember that your laptop will often go wherever you go, so think twice before purchasing a heavy Also, it may be worth the investment to purchase a battery that provides extended life (if ordering a new laptop); this will prevent you from having to carry around the power supply.
- In most cases, this laptop will need to last you for the life of your school term, so it would be a wise investment to purchase an additional warranty that covers accidental damage. This type of warranty will allow your computer to be repaired quickly in the event of damage from being dropped, spills, etc.
- If you will be purchasing a new laptop, models starting around $500 are acceptable; purchasing a $1,500 laptop will generally not help you be more successful in school, but are usually of a higher quality and will generally last longer. If you are on a tight budget and don’t mind purchasing a pre-owned laptop, a good site for this purchase is arrowdirect.com. They have quality preowned machines.
- If you plan to use an older laptop, we recommend that you arrive at Louisiana Tech with a fresh installation of Windows A computer service center in your town or a computer-savvy friend should be able to help you with this installation if you have difficulty. Student discounts on Microsoft software are available (https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education).
- We recommend that you use your computer primarily for academic If you choose to load a variety of games, movies, and other media files, you should expect diminished computer performance when using Microsoft Visual Studio, VMware Workstation, or any other application needed for coursework.
- The installation of antivirus/antimalware software is strongly encouraged before students arrive. We also strongly recommend that students avoid the installation and use of torrent based file-sharing programs such as LimeWire, not only to avoid issues with copyright violations while using the campus network, but also to avoid inevitable problems with corrupted files, computer slowdowns, virus activity, etc.
Multifunction printer and scanner (laser or inkjet) recommended
Word-processing, spreadsheet, and presentation programs equivalent to MS Office 365, specifically MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are required. As a student at Louisiana Tech University, you have access to Microsoft 365 which includes the above-mentioned applications.
Limited support will be available through the College of Business Information Technology Support Office and the University Helpdesk.
You can access the Virtual Desktop at virtual.latech.edu. Please refer to Note 1 for more information.
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions and contact information for the Tech Help Desk, visit latech.edu/it-faq/.
The University IT Helpdesk is available during normal business hours in the basement of Wyly Tower. You can submit a request for help using the email address: email@example.com.